Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Dress Disasters

My bridesmaids dresses have been what I can only call a disaster. The bridesmaids picked out a dress that was $250 including taxes. Originally they were paying for them, so I found them online through netbride for $170 including taxes, plus duty and customs. Of course that was estimated at about $40 and ended up being $40 PER DRESS. So now we are in these dresses for $210 each.

But it gets worse.

Because they chose the dress from a website, we had to order them from a website using measurements. So we painstakingly measured ten times JUST to be sure and I ordered the appropriate sized dress. Or so I thought. These dresses came in Thursday and are TOO BIG. Way too big. My sister, for example, will need the bust taken in about 2 inches. Insanity!

So with all this wedding stress going on, I delegated the task of finding someone to hem and take in these dresses without ruining them, because I can't do that right now. My mom, stressing as I was, decided to do this and found a tailor with great recommendations. Today I call the tailor and apparently she used to actually custom make bridesmaid and bridal gowns, but got out of it because she hated the bridezillas.

What does this mean?

A happy me now :)

As of next Monday those girls will be fitted poked and prodded until the dresses are ready for some reconstructive surgery, and the tailor is quoting us about $50 per dress for the hem and side seams.

In the end, this crazy gamble didn't break the bank, although it certainly didn't save much money! The place I got my bridal dress does have this dress available, but for $250+ alterations (around $40 for the hem alone) we are thankfully not broke yet.

Any one else suffer from an online bridal disaster?

~Miss. Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment