Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Lunch Lazies

I am a lazy lunchtime maker. Anyone else with me here? I am also incredibly cheap, so I cannot justify going out and spending $5-10 a day on lunch. If you think about it, I work 180 days a year. If I buy lunch every day that is almost $1000!!! Not including gas, snacks for before or after lunch (I run around all day, it's necessary!), etc.

The biggest problem that comes out of this is that I am just about the laziest person when it comes to making lunches. I'm not sure which I'd prefer doing, but I'd likely rather fold and put away 10 loads of laundry than make a lunch. It's stupid, I know.

When I lived on my own, that problem was solved by being forced to cook everything in too big batches, and having copious amounts of leftovers. I don't even want to tell you about my roast beef fascination which once led to almost a week of roast beef for every meal, although the two pots of soup was much worse (what was I thinking!?). Living with my amazing Mr. Sunshine, I feel bad making such a huge amount of something that we would eat it every meal for a week, so we tend to make normal meals with leftovers 50% of the time. This means that 50% of the time I have lunch and 50% of the time I have to make a lunch. It's like torture in the morning!

The good news is my lunchtime laziness cure-- other people's laziness and need for a fresh and fun meal once in awhile! Does your child participate in pizza days, hot dog days, lunch days? I can guarantee you, I do too! One of our staff members brought an idea from her last school which is salad club. Once a week you bring a topic (and rotate through bringing lettuce or bread) for salad and you get a huge salad once a week that is really filling and delicious for cheap! This is great because it truly involves simple things like buying croutons, bacon bits, mixed nuts, chopping down chives from the garden, or even grabbing dried berries, and no prep!

I write this because at this moment, in my extreme morning laziness, the last thing I want to even consider is packing a lunch. Being our salad club day, all I have to do is grab some wet paper towels and scissors to cut some chives from the garden and *shabam!* I'm done. I'm so grateful right now!

Ohhh the good life...

~Miss. Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment