Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

DIY-- Making my own flowers

As you might have gathered from previous posts-- I am cheap. SO cheap! So cheap, in fact, that when the quote for my flowers came (1 bridal bouquet, 2 bridesmaid bouquets and 4 bouts) and was around $500 including delivery, plus taxes, I almost fell over dead.

HOW CAN FLOWERS COST SO MUCH!?!

So today I revealed this tidbit to my mother, who insisted I should just use fake flowers, like she did at her wedding. Now, I had considered this in the past, but I was on the "well real flowers look better, but cost so much more" fence. Today, however, Michael's had 60% off many of their flowers, and I was in desperate need of silver acrylic paint, so I figured I'd give it a go.

So you, dear readers, will be the first in the world to see my not-yet-complete flowers and soon will see a tutorial. The total time to create my bouquet was less than an hour, including about twenty looks in the mirror just to make sure it was even. I'm telling you now, doing this in front of the large mirror in our dining room was an awesome idea.

And now, the reveal!

Bridal bouquet. I am thinking I will add some greenery interspersed to add some colour and a 'pop'.


Idea for bridesmaids. Much smaller with only three large flowers and perhaps some greenery.


The disaster that is my wedding table and also the dining room table. Mr. Sunshine loathes this mess.

So all in all, because I took advantage of Michael's 60% off sale, and teacher discount (another 10% off), the cost of flowers was $24.93. Beyond this, I had to buy floral tape ($3.36), and will have to buy some nice straight pins, ribbon and some greenery (appx $20?).  With a total cost coming to be about $50, I am more than happy spending less than ten percent of real flowers!

What have you saved money on? Any hidden talents revealing themselves to you?

~Miss. Sunshine

2 comments:

  1. We used fake flowers, too! Husband actually did the arranging for my bouquet, though. Who knew he had a talent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what you discover you can do if you put your mind to it.

      That being said Mr. Sunshine told me the flowers look like flowers. He's not able to do that!

      Delete