Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

DIY Fail Begins

Now, I have done many, many long DIY's for this wedding and virtually all of them have failed at some point. My veil, after hours of beading strands of fishing line and then painstakingly sewing it to my 9 ft veil, had the beads falling off. My table numbers had pencil lines showing through. And now my invitations are falling apart!

That's right-- falling apart. *scream*! And probably because I'm cheap.

The whole story here is that I wanted to save some money on these invitations that have ended up costing me about twice what I thought they would. To save money, I decided to use a glue roller from the dollar store instead of the $10 glue rollers from Michaels. From experience, I knew the quality was about the same. It sure has got the paper stuck to the invite, with no hopes of it every being ripped off! What I didn't count on is that the pocket folds would have a lot of pressure put on them from the inserts behind the pocket.

So two days ago I went to put a cover page on my invitation and the pocket fold I had loving glued in the day before fell right out of the card. I screamed. I threw it across the room. I put my head in my hands and tried not to cry. I regrouped, jumped online and saw that my sister was right-- I needed rubber cement.

Well, yesterday I had to run to a pet store at lunch to grab a screen for a tank in our classroom (we should be getting our caterpillars any day now and we don't want those suckers escaping!) and Michael's was next door. Perfect chance to get the right glue, especially since a co-worker of mine said their glue was buy one and get one half off and she needed rubber cement too!

Ha.

This particular Michael's was sold out of the small size and only have the fifteen dollar giant bottle left. I was so mad I decided I would wait until I got back to my hometown and look at the local Walmart.

Just for the record, they don't sell rubber cement. I will save you the trouble of being directed from the adhesive section to the paper area to the craft area and back to adhesives again.

Now, really, none of this should be a huge problem because rubber cement does exist and it is at a Michael's near my work. The problem for me is twofold:
1. I am cheap. There is no way I am buying glue at Michael's until it stops being on sale so I can use a 40% off coupon.
2. When I start a project, especially one that can easily be ruined by humidity, heat, moisture or liquids, I prefer to get it over with as soon as possible and whisk it to my parent's house where it will be safe. So far this has delayed me two days and likely will continue to delay me another 4-5. This is 4-5 days where, in my tiny house, myself, FI or two bouncy dogs might destroy hours of work and hundreds of dollars in the blink of an eye.

Anyone else have a DIY gone sour? If you are a DIY person... I know you have!

~Miss. Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment