Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Falling in Love All Over Again... (Semi-DIY Post)

With wedding stuff.

Haha! Tricked you! Or not.

Today when I went to my mom's I got to see my veil again. HUGE backstory on this, so here it goes...

When I went to buy my dress way back in January I knew I for sure wanted a dress that didn't show too much cleavage, was either a lace sheath or a drop waist gown, and it had to be very "me". As a result, I fell in love with *my* dress (which I cannot post on here because of damned Mr. Sunshine!). Anyways, there was really only one thing I knew I had to have, and that was a cathedral length veil.

I've never been one to dream about weddings as a little girl and imagine the perfect centrepiece or guy, but I sure as hell always had the perfect veil. For me, it was a veil that was long, flowing, delicate, beautiful and just... right. As I was blinging up my dress while trying it on they brought me a short elbow length veil, and I didn't love it. I asked for longer and fell in love! The veils I tried on were gorgeous with prices tags to match them. Anywhere from $400-$1000 for the veil only. I couldn't justify it and knew I could get a deal if I looked around.

One day, while looking, I stumbled on a tutorial for how to make your own veil. I figured for the $15 in materials, if I screwed it up completely, I wouldn't be totally upset. Let me tell you, it came out beautifully! I carefully measured and cut the tulle. I made a template and cut out a perfect rounded edge. I bunched like a pro and sewed it to the comb. I tried it on and part of my died of happiness!

But it wasn't enough.

I wanted more.

So I went online and decided to learn how to bead the edge of my veil. I painstakingly learned that there were three methods to this total madness. The first is to hand sew on each bead (and I estimated I would need 2000 or so). The second was to bead together strings of beads and then sew or glue each strand on. The final method was to hand glue each bead. Needless to say I did the second method.

$30 in AB swaroski crystals and $20 in pearls later, plus several tens of hours of time, I had about 20 one foot strands of beads. I hand knotted each strand to the veil 30 times, and then cut each thread. I also glued the ends of each strand together to ensure that there were no gaps. It took almost 100 hours, but it looked gorgeous. To finish it off I bought a variety of different sized pearls and glued them to the comb to cover the bunching. I fell in love.

Then disaster struck. The strands were coming undone and the beads were coming off! On top of that, the 30 knots in each strand had been cut too close to the knots and those were coming off too! I almost cried and swore and screamed, but instead I grabbed out my E-6000 and glued that sucker firmly to the veil in way too many places.

So back to today.

Today I saw my veil hanging in the closet for the first time in months and nearly cried. It looked like everything I could possibly imagine and more. It was so beautiful, delicate and with just a touch of sparkle-- I couldn't believe it. Hours later I am still thinking about it and it made me think-- maybe I should be "ignoring" my DIY's for awhile after I've done them so I can truly appreciate them. Maybe seeing them scattered around the house everyday is taking away from my appreciation for the beauty I am creating.

Anyone else have these types of moments?

~Miss. Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment