Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Selecting many, many songs

I can't say I am the best bride, in the traditional sense. In fact, I am not fussing around with much of anything. One of the reasons we chose our venue was because it is essentially always decorated, being that it is an art gallery.

Anyways, in the process of figuring out what we .still.have.to.do. I was given a sheet by our DJ. The DJ, by the way, so far, amazing. Anyways, this sheet had a list of things that needed to be filled out and returned to them so that we get the best service possible. The sheet started clean, fresh and nice looking and has ended up with so many strike outs. Here's a list.

THINGS THAT CONFUSED ME/WE AREN'T DOING:
1. How will you be announced? I actually had to do research to see what that meant. This means, will they say, "Now welcome Mr. Sunshine and Mrs. Maiden Name!" or will they say "Mr. and Mrs. Firstname Sunshine!" or whatever. The possibilities are endless. And I don't care. I went with the 'mixing old and new' tradition of "Mr. and Mrs. My firstname and His firstname Sunshine".

2. Songs are needed for processional (duh), signing the register (really?), recessional (crap! I totally forgot!). Considering that we have been having heated debates (and that's mostly me saying "how about this" and Mr. Sunshine saying "nahhh... my last wedding.... *awkward silence*) just over the processional, the recessional sucks. So we are vetoing a signing song (for three minutes, the guests can live without auditory stimulation) and now debating as to what to walk up the aisle to. Mr. Sunshine's contributions have been funny, albiet totally inappropriate. And that makes me laugh. Which makes the fact that we have no song much less stressful.

3. Cake cutting song. Like the registry signing song, confusing. Why do I need a song? Does cake cutting take that long? I'm about 90% sure we are just cutting the cake, dancing and then eating. I don't even have a fancy cake cutting knife. Seriously. I think we need like a die with all the best slow, romantic country songs on it so we can just arbitrarily assign them. I feel bad for brides who care about these things. It took us 2 weeks to settle the only important ones (first dance and processional). I can't imagine arguing over the others.

4. We are not doing a bouquet toss or garter toss. Thank god, because that would involve AT LEAST two more songs. Serious. So far I am 1 for like 10 on song selection.

5. Mr. Sunshine is still debating the mother/son dance. I MUST dance with my daddy. I told Mr. Sunshine that this is non-negotiable. He doesn't want to do any of those dances, but I think we should ask his mom first. Speaking of which, shockingly, we need a song!

6. The kissing game. I actually remember stressing about this when we first met our DJ, and then it was thrown on the back burner. Now it's back on in full force and the problem is... I don't care. My revised to-do list is actually LONGER than my original list, making the fact that we don't have a kissing game easily solved by bells. Mr. Sunshine doesn't want bells, but has no other suggestions. Maybe I can pawn this task to the maid of honour instead.... BWAHAHAHA!

7. Finally, there was the "do not play" song list and the "must play" song list. Well, we are using all of our favorite songs so far, so that isn't a concern on the must play. I think we listed three of ten. As for do not play, all I could think of was novelty songs and sexual songs.


How has your DJ experience been? Any kissing game suggestions? Did you realize just how MANY songs you would need?


Miss. Sunshine (for only 24 more days!)

No comments:

Post a Comment