Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

The One Where We Met

The story of us is not a long story, or a complicated story. There is no unrequited love or years of separation. If anyone were to write our love story, it would be a short article in a local paper that people would skim over, and never a best-selling novel.

It all started, as most romances do, with nothing special. Mr. Sunshine had just gotten a separation from his ex-wife (which is his story to tell, and not mine), and I had just had a few life changing experiences.

Mr. Sunshine and I met in January of 2010, and I must go back to go forwards in this story. I was in the midst of completing my program way up in Thunder Bay so I could graduate from University with my Honours History BA and my Bachelor of Education. I had been dating a guy I met online from June 2009 (or so) that year and around November decided I wanted to end it. Unfortunately, I had already bought a non-refundable plane ticket to see him over New Years, and figured it would be a great way to get away, and also a confirmation I was doing the right thing breaking off this long-distance drama. Needless to say, after one day on the West Coast I knew he was a nice guy, and would make a great friend, but certainly was not was I wanted. I came back, ended our romance, and while I had no lingering feelings (they had been gone for quite some time), the other guy was bombarding me with emails and texts begging me to reconsider. I didn't. I managed to keep myself very busy instead...

While this was going on, I had moved from Thunder Bay back to my parents home to finish my last practicum in a nice tiny school by a local mall. Being bored, since most of my friends either lived way up North or had left our small town five years ago, I joined Plenty of Fish. Did I expect to find anything? Not really. I had gone that route before and ended up with a really good friend and a guy who ended up being a total loser. I knew PoF was likely just going to give me time to waste and someone to talk to. While searching through the many (MANY) lame profiles, I narrowed it down to people who lived in my parents area. I found a picture of this really, really, REALLY cute guy with the bluest eyes and messaged him, not expecting anything back.

This is where our stories differ. Mr. Sunshine (the cute guy, of course) says that he was annoyed because his profile said no one under 27 or so could contact him and he insists that I lied where my age was posted. I maintain I never lied and he just can't set a profile properly. Regardless, he messaged me back and we ended up talking on MSN over the next few weeks. He was bored, having just moved in with his dad, and I was bored, having moved back home as well. After a few weeks of chatting, we met.

He showed up at my house after calling me, super lost. We got in the car and I was hoping and praying he wouldn't kill me. I had as many safety procedures in place as I could think of, including texting my friend every 30 minutes to prove I was alive. He was really funny and smelled great. He took me to Yuk Yuks in Mississauga and it was great! We spent the entire night writing messages back and forth about how horrible the MC was. I was loving it. Afterwards, we had such a great time that we went to Dave and Busters and he schooled me on ski ball. As it was approaching midnight, he drove me home. We hung out at my parents for an hour or two and then he kissed me. I am totally maintaining that because if Mr. Sunshine tells his version, I "attacked him". No way. NO WAY!

After that we saw each other. A lot. Again, Mr. Sunshine swears I forced him to see me, but I maintain that he kept inviting me over after school for coffee and during the weekends for dates. Whichever was the case, just before our first date he had moved into a new house, so we were spending our time there. And regardless, it lasted. There are so many stories that he likes to tell about how he didn't really like me at first and I was just "there", but I don't believe that was the case. Immediately after meeting me he cut things off with a girl he was casually seeing and he sure didn't take things slowly in the emotional department!

Mr. Sunshine said, "I love you" first, while at a bar, and slightly drunk less than a month in. He told me, about 6 months in, that he was going to marry me. We moved in together just before we celebrated 8 months together and he was with me when I got my first supply job, first long term job and first contract position. We went through hell and high water with some drama, and ended up moving to the 'burbs just over a year ago. On Christmas, almost two years since our first date, Mr. Sunshine proposed with a beautiful ring. This summer we are getting married, and I couldn't be more ecstatic!

And so there is the story of Mr. and (soon to be) Mrs. Sunshine.

Anyone else have a boring story that is all yours?

~Miss. Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment